Thursday 22 March 2007

my summer jackpot

sometime in early jan i applied for an internship in Marico Ltd (an Indian FMCG company) via my university. i sent in my resume and my cover letter. the company was looking for 2 interns to work on finance projects under the CFO (chief financial officer).

i had never heard of the company, had no idea what they did and had no idea what was the projects offered were about. frankly speaking i wasn't bothered. i just wanted to do my internship in india, bombay to be exact.

after days of inactivity the office of career services finally notified that Marico had shortlisted 2 students from the resumes and cover letters they had received. i was one of the 2. we were informed that Marico would want to have an interview with us via video conference. knowing that i would have to know everything there was about the company and the projects, i started doing research. i was amazed when i discivered what a successful company marico is. they projects offered blew my mind. i was in love with the company and the project. esp the one which was 'competition tracking using net profits of competitiors products in the aggressive FMCG market'.

with this information we were made to embark on another never ending wait for the interview. i have forgotten the number of times the date for the interview was changed. finally however the date was fixed for 3rd march. not surprisingly we got to know about this a day before. moreover i had a company law exam just before the interview. so said things ever come easy??

i was already rushing to complate my syllabus for company law exam. so the prep for the interview was left for the 2 hour break i had after the exam. i was a bundle of nerves as i sat in the kopitiam trying to eat lunch and prepare for potential questions. have to thank liz, rishika and param for coming up with the variety of questions they came up with. with their help i started getting calm. i was dressed to impress in my fav black pants, a white lace spag top and my brand new black jacket. once i changed into my outfit, my nerves calmed down more.

anyways the interview went smooth. it was very short and to the point. the questions were "evergreen HR interview questions". having done that i settled into another wait to know the outcome. thankfully this time it took only 2 days before i found out that i had been offered the internship! i was sooooo overjoyed to hear this!

so now i am all set to jet off to Bombay for 3 months of internship and a few weeks of travel around india. my excitement is increasing at an exponential rate. this summer is going to be one full of 1st times and amazing experiences for me. Wish me luck and warn bombay, Charu is coming!

No comments: