Monday 21 January 2008

University life

Grades, grades, and more grades.. or in the case of my university the all dreaded GPA- Is that the one word that sums up a university education? 4 years spent slogging in the class, the library, at home, in the train or bus, for that elusive 4 on 4 GPA to land the dream job that holds the key to a “secure and safe future”.

I was told university is the best time of a person’s life. I whole-heartedly agree. I have loved the time I have spent in university till now. Out of my 8 semesters at university, I’m now in my 6th semester. Let me sum up my “achievements” in these 5 and the 6th ongoing semester.
- Passed all the 23 courses I’ve done
- 4 As out of the 23 courses I have done
- 13 performances, as choreographer and dancer in all 13 and as production manager in 1
- Was part of NDP 2006 as VVIP usher, interviewed by Tamil Murasu
- Being part of IMF/ World Bank meeting in 2006, I spent 2 weeks out of classes, met the PM personally, was interviewed by MediaCorp with the interview telecasted nationwide and had an awesome time.
- Made friends with 3 professors, become an Research Assistant for one and got recommended by another to a third professor for Teaching Assistant and got an excellent internship via the 3rd.
- Went on an overseas internship
- Taught dance in university and outside as a freelancer
- Served as Performance Director for a year and presently President of Indian Cultural Society
- Made friends who I know will stand by me in thick or thin and my fair share of “non-friends”
- Watched countless number of movies, many in between waiting for classes.
- Survived countless projects and project mates from hell, not to mention professors out to kill the students on 3-4 hours of sleep.
- Gone for countless parties
- Pursuing my 2nd internship and plan to do 1 more before I graduate next April.
- Oh and yes I learnt enough about accounting to make me hate it and declare a second major so far removed from it just for my sheer love for it, Corporate Communication
- Last but not least, a “below average” GPA compared to the perceived standard of 3.5-4 amongst my peers

Reading my “achievements” I personally feel fulfilled but I am aware of many who would frown upon my credentials just cause the all important GPA is not the best and simply one of my “achievements”. Do I care? Nope. Only because I have loved my university journey. Each event I’ve participated in, each friend I’ve made, each course I have studied and each moment I have simply chilled out has contributed to my life-long learning.

Stuck amongst the brains and the socially dead of Singapore’s best students I long back made peace with the miserable state of my GPA. Now I have to mention that I have been a good student all along and still am. I do my homework, my revision, read the textbook, understand the concepts and practise practise and practise. Only problem I don’t dedicate my life to reading the entire text and imprinting it in my head, doing past year papers for the past 7 years (SMU is 7 years old), ask the professors about the share market when the class is about research, memorise the ideal answers, cheat at every possible opportunity and rip off projects from seniors. Shocking but yes that’s the majority of the kind of SMUggers I’m up against. Unless I “stoop” to their levels I can never reach the all-important 3.5 and more GPA. The bell curve grading just cements the case against us socially alive creatures hell bent on having a life while getting our degree.

Everyday I have been bombarded by the stories of students having 4-5 job offers 2 semesters before they graduate, emails for internship opportunities with minimum GPA requirements, 5 figure starting salaries, 100% SMU graduate employment and of course personal goals haunting me in my sleep. In my years in university and my interaction with peers, seniors, professors, working professionals and happy retirees I realised there are 2 ways to land a decent job, the supposite key to your future of “joy and fulfilment”.
1. Get the best grades, be on the deans list, be a valedictorian and get the $12 000 per month job
2. Have an excellent CV filled with experience to get the $2-3 000 per month job

Both ways lead to a job, though with a different price tag. However from what I’ve learnt and seen and heard, the second way will be an easier way to climb up the corporate ladder. It’s a realisation I’ve been thrilled by. Hence I have chosen my choice of weapon for landing the first job (not that I have much choice). Armed with this decision I concentrate on landing internships and projects that add to my CV in the area I want to head towards.

People say I’m mad to forgo my grades by being involved in so many things other than studies; I say I am living my life. I don’t know what the future hold, all I know is I won’t get these 4 years back. So I plan to live the next 2 semesters and the remaining of the present one as I have been for the past 5 semesters. The next time you hear I’m involved in an event don’t ask me where I get the time.

**Everything written in this entry is my opinion and my thinking. I don’t believe in imposing my thoughts on others hence if you have a problem accepting my point of view you are free to disagree. However I hope you can respect my expression and not impose your views on me.**

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just wanna say..i think ure doing darned well for urself. u should enjoy ur studying...and besides with jobs..u never know which kind of job u might land and where it might take you. live in the present and thats what you are doing. congrats on the above achievements gurly and good luck for the rest of the semesters!!

btw..its neha..! :)

Unknown said...

hey neha thanks for your lovely words and support. also thanks for dropping by the blog. good luck for your job search.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.