Wednesday 26 March 2008

The accounting 'hell' I got myself into

I am a student of Accounting. But the fact remains that I do not enjoy this field of study. This is the very reason why I choose my 2nd major of Corporate Communication. Corporate Communication is as far removed from Accounting as ever. It is also a field of study I thoroughly enjoy.

As if being forced to study Accountancy is not torture enough, someone brilliantly decided to have all the Accountancy classes at 8.30am in the morning. Each class also has a minimum 50% weightage exam together with disastrous project requirements. Most of the times the projects aren’t even useful and demand insane amounts of time and resources.

The professors too have sworn to be the most boring, monotonous, cynical, evil and vindictive of the lot. The students are no better. They are vicious with their excessive competitiveness and fire to excel regardless of whom they have to remove from their path of success. This deadly combination makes the faculty most unfriendly in general. It also brings about an atmosphere of hostility and Darwinian style fight of survival.

It’s quite obvious I do not have the most raving of views of my faculty peers. As expected of all my friends a bare minimum are from the Accountancy faculty.

It is then a pity that I am expected to sit through 3, 3 hours advanced accounting classes at 8.30am on each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Most times I have no interest or initiative to follow the lesson. It is at these times that I wonder if I could use this time instead for something more worthy. Especially since I can survive the course without listening to a single word during the class and studying on my own.

It is then depressing to think I have 3 more accounting modules left before graduation. I sincerely wish I had not chosen Bachelor of Accountancy for my degree and gotten myself into this hell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

owwwwwww, huggggs babe. i know, it can be soooo god-damn-itly painful at times.. which sadly happens to be most of the time these days. countdown to graduation from accountancy yeah? *huggggs!* we'l survive together okies?? :)

Anonymous said...

yeah i agree 100% with the posts charu..anyone who is debating to take accountancy as a major: if you have a choice, run in the the otehr direction..the profession will get you thinking you are dumb when you are probably one of the smartest ppl around :P