Thursday 8 May 2008

The countdown to the awesome summer has begun!

30 days from today for me to fly off to Scandinavia..

I am still overwhelmed at the thought of going to Sweden and Denmark. Each time I go for a BSM class it seems more and more real. I am getting really excited. The trip is not a simple tourist trip, it us a business study mission. We will be making company visits and be required to keep a daily journal to be han
ded in at the end of the trip. That sure brings some pressure along on the trip. But well no complains as I still get to travel extensively.

During the classes and via a lot of literature, I have gotten to know more and more about Scandinavia. Scandinavian culture, weather, food and lifestyle is so vastly different from what I have been exposed to living in India and Singapore.

I will be there during the summer time. For them summer means highest temperature of 20deg C and 18 hours of daylight in a day! The Scandinavian region is also known to be very windy as it is very high up north in the world. That explains the long-long summer days as well. This also means that even in summer some regions experience snowfall..

Food wise it is so different. The common meat is pork. Beef is considered the rich man’s food while chicken is rare! Potatoes are very common though fish is the most abundant. The fish is usually pickled with the most varied of ingredients. I’m actually considering going vegetarian for the 10 days I will be there.. Oh and they like their food salty. That goes for their candy as well! Their water is supposed “to be the best water in the world”, in the words of a Swede. So yup looking forward to tasting their water.

We’ll be staying at 3 different hotels. 1 in Stockholm for 4 days, 1 in Almhult for a day and 1 in Copenhagen for 5 days. In between we will be travelling all around these cities in chartered bus. It is going to quite the adventure. I just wish I had better company along with me on the trip. Good company is integral to having the maximum fun out of a trip anywhere!


Some photos of Denmark


Some photos of Sweden




No comments: