Tuesday 9 May 2006

My Mummy

Since the coming Sunday is mother's day, I want to write a tribute to my mother.


My mother is a wonderful human being and great women. She is the rock in my life who has stood by me since day 1. She inspires me to be like her, to be as strong as her. Since my father is in the merchant navy and used to sail for 6 months at stretch, my mother brought my sister and me effectively alone. The 3 of us used to be by ourselves in a new country with no friends or family. My mother had the strength and confidence to handle this and any other situation.

She instilled very strong values in both of us. She also made us confident and self-dependent. She made sure we had the best education as well as enough play. I can still remember playing at the playground below our block for 1 hour after school daily. She would bring her tea down and watch us play.

My mother is a strict mother. She used to punish when needed but always loved us unconditionally after that. She made sure we were well behaved and mannered. No foul language, proper table manners, properly and smartly dressed. She never spoilt us. If we asked for something she made sure we understood our responsibility for the thing. I used to have a huge Barbie collection and kept each and every doll and all the nick-knacks in proper boxes. I knew my dolls were my responsibility. She used to encourage my sister and me for everything we wanted to do.

In fact she is the one who got me hooked on dancing. he used to dance with me when we used to sail with my father. I practically grew up dancing with her. She is a great dancer and my true dance guru. I first performed publically at 8years of age in the Victoria Concert hall in Singapore. I was very nervous and actually forgot my steps during the performance. I was so terrified that I simply stood frozen on stage. My mother got me going from offstage from where she was watching me. She was cheering me on from the stage side and was in fact crying watching her daughter dancing solo for the first time.

She has touched so many lives, not just mine and my sister's. There is an endless list of people who respect my mother so much. I feel so proud when they say what a great women she is. She is a selfless giver and teacher.

She has always been a proud mother. She has been a friend when I needed her and has always been there whenever I have broken down. She has made many sacrifices to give my sister and me the best upbringing. I have the deepest respect for my mother. My day is never complete until I get my mother's hug.

People say i look like her and for me that is the biggest compliment. No words or gifts can express what I feel for her.

I love you mummy







No comments: