Monday 29 May 2006

Primary school days...

I've been through kindergarden, primary school, secondary school and junior college. Now i am in university. If asked when i had the best time, it will be a tie between primary school and university.
So now you'll want to ask me why these two? I'll touch upon university in a later post. For this one i'll just tell about my primary school days.

It has been 8 long years since i completed my PSLE but i still remember my primary school days very well. I used to study in Xinghua primary school. It was a neighbourhood school a stone's throw away from my house. I joined it only in primary 2 when my family shifted house. Of course joining in primary 2 meant I had missed out one year to make friends. I can clearly remember the first day of school. I had gone through the lessons before recess. One of those lessons was mother tongue. Now I didn't take any mother tongue offered in school. I was a non- Tamil Indian language student doing Hindi. But I was required by school to sit in the Tamil class during the mother tongue lesson. So back to recess. I was sitting alone in the canteen, eating my packed food. A girl from the Tamil class, Sivarangani, came up to me and started talking. I think that was the first and last time I was ever alone in school. Rangani soon introduced me to all the Indian kids in her "gang". There were quite a few of them. All took Tamil, and I used to sit in their lesson. So very soon I joined their gang which meant eating together during recess, playing hopscotch together (a very popular sport in my school), talking in class and basically being friends. Of the gang, 2 guys were in my primary 2 class, Vinod and Kalai.

When i went to primary 3, another NTIL student was in my class. She was a quiet girl with bambi eyes. Her name was Preeti. So she joined the gang too. With her we had the original 4; Vinod, Kalai, Preeti and me. We used to chit chat, fight (those trivial fights u laugh about now) and of course play hopscotch together. In the meantime Preeti and my friendship began to grow stronger. It was no time before she was at my house every other day, or i at her. We did every project together. We sat together in class. We did our prefect duties together. We even bunked school together. Basically we were "ask for one, get the other free".

The cool thing was the original 4 stayed in the same class in primary 4, 5 and 6. We went through hilarious childish moments together; we went for our excursions together. The gang was still there. But the 4 of us were in one class and the others spread out or not so close. All this while Preeti and I still sat in the Tamil class during mother tongue. We used to sit in the back and talk and laugh, occasionally doing some Hindi work.

Primary school was fun and each day was great. But little were we to know that in primary 4 this fun was going to be increased!!! In primary 4 we got a new Tamil teacher, Miss Parames (now Mrs Parames). Man she is the best teacher i have ever had (of course technically she never taught me...)!! She was full of fun. She was a friend to us. She was an aunt agony to us. We used to visit her in the staff room when we were bored, free or had a problem. She used to give the best children's day gifts to us. She even took us bowling and for lunch (her treat) in primary 6. She knew us, she knew our parents and she even knew our siblings. Haha she was one crazy teacher. In fact she is one of the few teachers i am still in touch with. I even went for her wedding.

So yea I had a great time in primary school!! Such a great time that i cannot forget those friends or teachers. Actually I haven't. I'm still in touch with most of the gang and Mrs Parames. On Saturday we had a gang reunion for the first time in the last 8 years. Unfortunately a few of the gang couldn't meet up. So eventually it was the original 4 and Mrs Parames.

But oh my god what a fun time we had!!!!!!!!!!!!! We laughed so much, our stomachs hurt.. And as usual Mrs Parames insisted on treating us. But seriously I have not had such a good time for quite some time. I had a blast. And Mrs Parames is as crazy as ever. Infact i think she has become crazier!! (if that is even possible...) I am certainly going to try to get the full gang together now. I even with just the 5 of us, we had such a great time. With the whole gang it'll be wild!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee...glad u r still in contact with ur pri sch frens...mine ..we usually see each other on the streets...hardly talk...tat's only if i'm lucky...

anw...sad tat sec sch was not a best time for u...i was there u noe...haiz...anw...it's understandable...i wasn't in ur class in sec 3 n 4...

n besides...my best years were in jcs...with a bunch of really crappy library ppl...yeah...

god bless u

Unknown said...

hey steph of course i remember you in sec school!! and you were one of the few things that made sec school bearable...
thanks for being there and always